Do you know these chess facts?
1. The longest game of chess that is theoretically possible is 5,949 moves.
2. The word “checkmate” in chess comes from the Persian phrase “Shah Mat,” which is often translated to “the king is dead".
3. The longest chess game ever was I.Nikolic – Arsovic, Belgrade 1989, which ended in 269 moves. The game was a draw.
4. The rules of chess were changed in the 15th century to reflect the accomplishments of Queen Isabella
5. The second book ever printed in the English language was about chess.
6. The oldest recorded chess game in history is from the 900's, between a historian from Baghad and his student.
7. From the starting position, there are eight different ways to Mate in two moves and 355 different ways to Mate in three moves.
8. Chess is called the game of kings, because for many centuries it was played primarily by nobility and the upper classes.
9. The first chess board alternating light and dark squares first appeared in Europe in 1090.
10. The first chess game played between space and earth was on June 9, 1970 by the Soyez-9 crew. The game ended in a draw.
també per MSA
You Can Help Make A Change
- Complete the short registration form
- Choose what membership you'd like
- Enjoy all the great benefits!
- Guaranteed Games
- Competitive Ranking
- Tournaments with real prizes
- Facetime Experience
- In-game currency
- Multi-language play