English Fun Facts
Curious facts about the English Language
1. The longest one-syllable word in English is "SCREECHED".
2. "Go." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
3. "TYPEWRITER" is the longest word that can be typed with the letter only on one row of the keyboard.
4. The longest English word that can be spelled without repeating any letters is ‘uncopyrightable’.
5. "THE" is the most frequently used work in English.
6. ‘The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’. This type of sentence is called a ‘pangram’ as it uses every letter in the English language.
7. There are nine different ways to pronounce ‘ough’ in English. This sentence contains all of them: ‘A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.’
8. If you spell out every number from 9 to 999, you will find every vowel except for "A". You have to count to one thousand to find it!
Adpated from various sources.