Obscure Scrabble Words
10 Of The Most Obscure Words Only Expert Scrabble Players Know. Check out the final board from a World Scrabble Championship and you might feel like you're reading a foreign language. (Main Picture: final board from 2016 World Scrabble Championships, Lille, France) You'd only know all those words...
Check out the final board from a World Scrabble Championship and you might feel like you're reading a foreign language. (Main Picture: final board from 2016 World Scrabble Championships, Lille, France)
You'd only know all those words if, like many Scrabble champions, you'd spent months poring over the dictionary, learning names for plant parts and ancient instruments.
We dug up the words from the last four years of Scrabble championships and highlighted some of the weirdest below. See if you can guess what they mean — we've included the definitions, too.
1. Plural of gynoecium, or "the aggregate of carpels or pistils in a flower
2. Archaic variant of piragua, or "a 2-masted flat-bottomed boat
3. An alternate spelling of catty, or "any of various units of weight of China and southeast Asia varying around 1 1⁄3 pounds"
5. One of a class of criminals in India and Burma who rob and murder in roving gangs
6. Alternate spelling of trews, or "close-fitting tartan trousers
7. Any of the nymphs in classical mythology living in and giving life to lakes, rivers, springs, and fountains
8. Plural of coniine, or a poisonous alkaloid found in poison hemlock.
9. A Russian stringed instrument of the lute class
10. A type of Inuit parka
Released on 20th September 2016: http://uk.businessinsider.com/obscure-scrabble-words-2016-9?r=US&IR=T/#-1
You Can Help Make A Change
- Complete the short registration form
- Choose what membership you'd like
- Enjoy all the great benefits!
- Guaranteed Games
- Competitive Ranking
- Tournaments with real prizes
- Facetime Experience
- In-game currency
- Multi-language play